16-17 March 2019 – Movenpick Hotel, Karachi
About Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom:
The Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF) is a foundation in the Federal Republic of Germany devoted to the promotion of liberal principles and to political education. The goal of the foundation is to advance the principles of freedom and dignity for all people in all areas of society, both in Germany and abroad.
NVP liaised with FNF in Pakistan to nominate school teachers for the climate change training. The training was aimed at building a conceptual understanding of teachers on climate change and improving their knowledge on the changing dynamics of climate, so that they can teach and communicate effectively to young students about this changing phenomenon. The purpose was to amplify teachers’ learning that could transform knowledge to the students – who are the future of our nation.
The training was led by a climate-change trainer and communication specialist Afia Salam. NVP engaged teachers from school of their partner not-for-profit institutions. At the completion of training session, teachers were awarded with certificate of participation. Following is a list of schools participated in climate change programme:
|Karachi Vocational Training Centre|
|Rana Liaquat Craftsmen’s Colony|
|Street to School|
|The Garage School|
|Zindagi Trust, SMB Fatimah Jinnah School|
Q. What was your learning from this two days’ workshop on climate change?
Attending the workshop, we realized how our environment is depleting and how negligible we are towards it. Moreover, learned sustainable values like reverse, reduce and recycle the vital resources, promoting plantation with different techniques, reducing environmental pollution, abolishing single use of plastic, conserve energy and save nonrenewable resources by using alternative methods that were taught. Most of all, add more emphasis on sustainable development so that our future generations should not pay for our current doings.
- This learning will help us a lot in future for conducting sessions and workshops for the youth of our nation.
- We will try to implement new ideas to improve the climate situation; like advanced methods for the treatment of waste water, placing bins on right places, plantation activities and much more to save the climate.
- It was really impressive to get the opportunity of Ma’am Afia Salam and her team for delivering this needful training.
Q. With the help of workshop and interactive discussion, how will you help transform the subject to students at your school?
It was not just a session based on lecture series, but instead it was a complete workshop well-coordinated with other group-based activities comprising of diverse ideas from all participants.
- Teachers can play a vital role in transforming the mindset of new generation by imparting the knowledge through various interactive ways, for e.g.: Audio / visuals, assembly presentations, outdoor drill e.g. beach cleaning activities to develop the sense of recycling.
- It is helpful to educate parents and spread the awareness in society for reinforcing the theory of saving environment from malpractices.
- The learning enables us to change our community and reduce its carbon footprints by implementing all techniques which we learned in the workshop.